Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Frisbee Dog

I have learned a lot over recent years. I have learned very significant and important things. I’ve learned about various cultures, religions, and histories. I’ve learned of complex theories and of complex problems. But, without a doubt, one of the most important things I’ve learned, one of the most considerable things I have gained knowledge of is…that one-day…

I want to own a Frisbee Dog.

That’s right. I want to own a Frisbee dog. I want a dog to which I can go outside and toss a Frisbee thirty yards out into the air, and the dog will run and catch it gracefully in mid-air. We would do that all Saturday afternoon and it would be terrific. There’s something amazing about these dogs to me. Maybe it was from watching ‘Flight of the Navigator’ too much as a kid.

The context of this motivation lies in an experience I had one day while going to a park. There is a park that I go to nearby from time to time to read, play guitar, think, and reflect. While enjoying a fantastic book one day, I began to notice a beautiful black Labrador off in the distance. The Lab was very excited about something, and I soon figured out why. The owner was nearby and he started to pull out a Frisbee. This dog became so incredibly excited. The owner proceeded to launch the Frisbee out into the air. I watched in amazement, as this dog would chase this Frisbee nearly thirty yards out. This dog would effortlessly jump into the air and catch the Frisbee. I could hear the chomp cut through the air like it was a few feet away. Once the dog caught the Frisbee, he would bring it back to the owner, stand very still, and anxiously wait with intense attention knowing that at any moment the Frisbee would fly again. The owner would proceed to throw the Frisbee into the air, and the same would happen.

But as I sat there watching this activity, I could not help but notice the sheer joy on the dog’s face. The dog was in utter joy at this simple disc. The dog was passionate about this activity, as if this was his single, most important purpose in the world. He looked like he was smiling as he sailed through the air and his stiff ears were forced to shake in the wind. It was as if this was what he was created for. As I stood there just watching, I came to this conclusion:

I want to be God’s Frisbee Dog.

I know it sounds weird. But I want to be God’s Frisbee dog. I want to chase after the plans and the will that God sends flying over my head for me. I want to chase after God’s Frisbee with the passion and joy of the Labrador I saw that day at the park. And then, I want to bring my Frisbee back to God for his glory; otherwise, my Frisbee won’t fly. I am a firm believer that God has a unique and special Frisbee for everyone. This is a Frisbee of passion, gifts, and plans. This Frisbee is what ignites our souls. This Frisbee is the way God has laid out each of us to worship him. I have discovered that a piece of my Frisbee is the call to ordained ministry. God has set a passion for teaching, leading, shepherding, and encouraging inside of me.

But my Frisbee is just one in a plethora of Frisbees designed for God’s people. It is my belief that we still serve a powerful God who does great things in this world today. I believe that the power of the Gospel is just as impacting as it was 2000 years ago. I want to be a part of God’s movement in this world. I want to help people find their Frisbees.

No comments: