Friday, January 16, 2009

Notice

A week and a half ago, I was trudging up the steps, dragging my feet to the third floor of McPheeters at 7:45 in the morning. Taking deep breaths, I was hoping that the expansion of my lungs my start to wake me up a bit. I have often considered myself a morning person, someone who enjoyed being up before the sun. And I still do. But this morning, I would be the first to admit that I was thinking of my matress on the floor, or the comfortable, blanket-laden couch in the living room. However, as I ascended the last set of stairs, my heavy head slightly tilted down, I noticed a dark silhouette of a man facing the window. He was a tall slender man with a large brimmed hat on, that I may have more quickly noted to be Dr. Mulholland if it had been later in the day or not that particular day. He was looking out the window holding his cell phone to the glass. He had a content and curious look on his face, a look that I often see on his face. But it did not take long for me to venture my eyes through the window and see something huge and glorious that I had somehow missed. The sky was filled with soft red and purple clouds, like the cover of 'The Sound and the Fury.' It was like an ocean in the sky, an upside down ocean, filled with soft billowy waves rolling on and on into a distant solar light. It was the kind of picture that instantly made you think of the eternal, the holy, the awesome. I had somehow missed it. I normally consider myself someone who notices, but I clearly didn't that morning. I suddenly had a tremendous gratitude for Dr. Mulholland and those like him who are able to notice and disciplined enough to notice when I cannot.

On another note, I hope you notice the new banner I put up. I've made effort to get it up numerous times, but I have finally succeeded.

1 comment:

Leanne Penny said...

well first of all, I love discovering glorious mornings like that.

Secondly your banner looks lovely.